Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Challenge | Push it to the Limit

About a month ago, I decided that I was going to make challenges for myself at least once a week that I had to complete.  The idea was to get me to try new things in the sense that I would push harder and give more focus and dedication to fitness and nutrition.  This week I want to focus on fitness and pushing the body to the extremes.  
I have never been apart of the CrossFit world but for the last year, I have been interested in their WOD that they post to the CrossFit website.  I don't complete them religiously as I have a separate lifting program, however, I think they are a great tool to combine cardio and strength in a complete high intensity interval workout.  

The challenge that I ask you to participate in this week is trying a new exercise or routine that will truly test your limits.  Whether it's running your fastest 5K, trying a new group ex class, working out with a personal trainer for the first time, or just adding an 15 minutes on at the end of your run, push yourself this week.  If it feels easy, make it your new norm... and then push harder.  

The principle of overload states that a greater than normal stress or load on the body is required for training adaptation to take place.  Makes me think Albert Einstein was on to something when he gave his definition to insanity... "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."  You have to work for it.  You have to push for it.  You will not get the results you want without pushing your boundaries. 

The Challenge that I am going to complete within the week is swapping my regular interval routine with a CrossFit WOD.  Please feel free to join me, especially if you have never tried one of their workouts before.  Remember:  These workouts are for intermediate to advanced exercisers.  If you are doing this for the first time, it is safe to try it with a partner, and go at your own pace.  If  you feel dizzy or short of breath, stop your workout!  Also, don't be afraid to make modifications... guess what?  I can't do a handstand push-up, so I will do regular push-ups.  Who cares, no one's judging you.  Just do it.
Here it is...


"Schmalls"
Run 800 meters
Then two rounds of:
50 Burpees
40 Pull-ups
30 One-legged squats
20 Kettlebell swings, 1.5 pood
10 Handstand push-ups
Then,

Run 800 meters 

One of the best parts of their workouts?... They name them after a fallen soldier.  So if you can't find the strength to do it for you... do it for them.


Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

No comments:

Post a Comment